UK Spousal Settlement Visa


You’ll need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to join a partner or family member who’s living in the UK permanently.

After 5 years living in the UK you can apply for:

Settlement as the partner of a British citizen or person settled in the UK


Your family member can either :

be a British citizen   or
have settled in the UK or
have asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

You can apply to:

join your partner (spouse, fiancé(e), civil or unmarried partner)
join your parent
come to look after your child
come to be looked after by family


You must apply from outside the UK, your partner cannot be from the EEA.

With This Visa you can work or study but you cannot have recourse to public funds

You must also prove that:

you’re 18 or over, unless you’re applying as a child
your relationship to your family member is genuine and recognised in the UK, eg your marriage is legal in your country
you and your family will have an adequate place to live in the UK
you have a good knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over - unless you’re applying as an adult dependent relative

Your application might be refused if, for example, you’ve:

got a criminal record in the UK or in another country
provided false or incomplete information to the Home Office

Your relationship must be one of the following:

married or civil partners
living together in a relationship for 2 years
engaged to be married or to become civil partners

You must prove that any previous relationships you or your partner had are permanently broken down. Ie divorce decree

You must also meet the financial requirement of:

£18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
£22,400 per year for you and one child
£2,400 per year for each additional child


Knowledge of English

You may need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.

You can prove your knowledge of English by passing a test at an approved test center.


Documents you need to provide

You’ll need to provide:

your current passport or other valid travel ID
previous passports
proof of your relationship to the person you’re joining
proof you can meet the financial requirement or maintenance requirement
proof of your knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over - unless you’re applying as an adult dependent relative
your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances - eg a sponsorship form from your family member in the UK


Contact Immigration Assist for a consultation and for assistance with applying for your Settlement Visas.