UK Family Settlement Visa (Spousal)

​Individuals who hail from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and wish to reunite with their partners or family members residing in the United Kingdom on a permanent basis must apply for a "family of a settled person" visa. This legal document enables applicants to join their significant other, whether they be a British citizen, settled in the UK, or possess asylum or humanitarian protection within the country. The visa also covers parents seeking to migrate to the UK to care for their children or to be cared for by their family members. However, it is crucial to note that the application must be submitted from outside the UK, and the partner in question must not be from the EEA.

After five years of residing in the UK, applicants can apply for settlement as the partner of a British citizen or person who has settled in the UK. Under this visa, one can work or study but cannot access public funds. To be granted a "family of a settled person" visa, applicants must prove that they are over 18 years of age (unless they are applying as a child), have a genuine relationship with their family member recognized in the UK, have adequate housing in the country, and possess adequate English language skills (unless they are applying as an adult dependent relative).

Applications may be refused if they fail to meet the above criteria or if the applicant has a criminal record within the UK or another country, or has provided incomplete or false information to the Home Office. Furthermore, the applicant's relationship with their partner must meet one of the following requirements: married or civil partners, living together in a relationship for two years, or engaged to be married or to become civil partners. Finally, the applicant must prove that any previous relationships that they or their partner had are permanently broken down, such as through divorce decree.

Applicants must also meet the financial requirements by either having the British Spouse or Parent securing a contract of employment earning £18,600 per year for individuals, £22,400 per year for individuals with one child, and £2,400 per year for each additional child. Alternatively one needs to prove that they have access to the equivalent of £75,000.It may also be necessary to prove one's knowledge of the English language by passing an approved test center examination or having studied a degree in English. The applicant must also provide various documents, including a current passport or other valid travel identification, previous passports, proof of their relationship to their partner, proof that they can meet the financial requirements, and tuberculosis test results, where applicable. In some cases, additional documentation may be required, such as a sponsorship form from their family member residing in the UK


Contact Immigration Assist for a consultation and for assistance with applying for your Settlement Visas.